Friday, February 26, 2010
The True 10 Commandments
You hear periodically in the news how some Christian nut needs to have the 10 commandments posted in some secular public building. They are not content to have it posted in their church or tatoo'ed on their body.
Well, my problem with the Ten Commandments being posted is they are not the TRUE 10 commandments according to the Bible itself
This is what Christian want to mount in stone, quoting from Exodus 20 (repeated Deu 5:1)
However they are NOT called the 10 commandments by the Bible
Instead the true 10 commandments are detailed in Exodus 34
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant‚the Ten Commandments.
Here they are:
1. Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
2. Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.
3. Do not make cast idols.
4. Celebrate the Feast of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Abib, for in that month you came out of Egypt.
5. The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons. "No one is to appear before me empty-handed.
6. Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.
7. Celebrate the Feast of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year. Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign LORD, the God of Israel. I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the LORD your God.
8. Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Feast remain until morning.
9. Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God.
10. Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk."
So not only are Christians unaware of the false 10 commandments (ask them to name them), they are unaware what the true 10 commandments are and they certainly do not follow them. I don't see them celebrating the feast of unleavened bread or weeks or ingathering or offering a bloody sacrifice. I don't see them breaking the neck of their first born animals or redeeming them. The seventh commandment, the Lebensraum rule, doesn't seem to be working for them either. This clearly is evidence of how the Bible contradicts itself, but most Christians are unaware of this.
So, if they must post the TEN post the real ones at least.
Or even better post George Carlin's irreducible two commandments.
And of course love Mel Brooks take on the commandments