Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Chopin

Chopin, such a short life, but such an incredible contribution to the world of music.

Frédéric François Chopin was born February 22, 1810. He died a young man on October 17, 1849. For an unknown reason Chopin used to say his birthday was March 1. However, in 1892 a parish church document was found that cites his birthdate as February 22.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my mother teaching me to love Chopin. She had an LP by Jose Iturbi playing Chopin which we spun countless times. We would play air piano in sync.

I had the fortune of going with my wife to Paris and we visited Chopin's grave in addition to Jim Morrison of the Doors.

One of the most passionate pieces of music is Chopin's Revolutionary. My former wife had years of training for the piano. So, I bought the sheet music for the Revolutionary and gave it to her. She took one look at it and told me I was crazy. Quite complicated.

Here is a very good version of it. Watch Bunin hands. WOW!!!!
I wish I had such talent.



Elena Kuschnerova playing Chopin Polonaise. Another favorite of mine.


Long Live Chopin.

No comments:

Post a Comment