Saturday, March 20, 2010

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

On March 17, 2010 the Smithsonian opened its human evolution hall. There are hundreds of human fossils, artifacts and forensically recreated faces of our prehistoric ancestors there, covering a 6 million year history. There is an original fossil of a Neanderthal skeleton, the only original in the United States. They have a morphing station where you can have it take your picture and it will morph you backwards in time to see what you would have looked like as an early human. Lucy, a 3.2 million year old human fossil, has a corner. Homo floresiensis, the "hobbit" fossil discovered in 2003 in Indonesia will have a replica.

I am taking a day off next week to go down there and explore.


I plan to print Wikis list of human fossils webpage as a guide.


When I was younger I went there but preferred the Air and Space Museum. I couldn't tell you what I thought as a Christian. I think any info would simply have bounced off with my religious force field to protect me. But now I couldn't be more excited. I am so looking forward to it and will post my experience there later.

No comments:

Post a Comment