Monday, May 17, 2010

Ezekiel's flip-flop



Ezekiel cannot make up his mind regarding why his God kills people. He originally hears from the voice in his head it is because they don't behave.

First the righteous will live

Ezekiel 18:4-9

For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son—both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

“Suppose there is a righteous man who does what is just and right.
He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of the house of Israel.

He does not defile his neighbor’s wife or lie with a woman during her period.

He does not oppress anyone, but returns what he took in pledge for a loan.

He does not commit robbery but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked.

He does not lend at usury or take excessive interest.

He withholds his hand from doing wrong and judges fairly between man and man.

He follows my decrees and faithfully keeps my laws.

That man is righteous; he will surely live, declares the Sovereign LORD.

This is a couple chapter argument. It repeats itself regarding the above guy's son doing the opposite and how he will be punished. Then it flips the argument supposing the son does good and the father does not. Then only the father is punished. Why is the argument made? Because heretofore the Bible is fairly repetitive on children suffering the sins of their fathers. So, Ezekiel contradicts God's Word in the prior books of the Bible.

Exodus 20:4-6 - the third commandment of the 10 commandments
“You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand [generations] of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Ezekiel repeats the righteous will surely live.
Ezekiel 18:19-20
“Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him."


Then Ezekiel flip-flops. God will destroy the righteous
Ezekiel 21:1-5
Then this message came to me from the LORD: “Son of man, turn and face Jerusalem and prophesy against Israel and her sanctuaries. Tell her, ‘This is what the LORD says: I am your enemy, O Israel, and I am about to unsheath my sword to destroy your people—the righteous and the wicked alike. Yes, I will cut off both the righteous and the wicked! I will draw my sword against everyone in the land from south to north. Everyone in the world will know that I am the LORD. My sword is in my hand, and it will not return to its sheath until its work is finished.’

Apparently, Ezekiel just could not defend his concept of God very well. He was hoping to scare people straight and some must have done so. However, cause and effect didn't work as he thought. So God must be on a different plan or rather life didn't show him clear evidence of what this voice in his head was telling him he said f*ck it, "You ALL are going to DIE"


1 comment:

  1. I do believe religious nuts are still working on this one, "He was hoping to scare people straight and some must have done so. However, cause and effect didn't work as he thought."
    Why is it all religious nuts think they have everyone else's answer? If only they could change people!

    ReplyDelete