Friday, January 29, 2010

Straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel (the religious mind)

Matthew 23:24

Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat but swallow a camel.

Jesus said this to the religious leaders of his day. It still applies today. I have been on a blog discussing evolution with a fundamentalist of my former faith. He made the typical argument of accepting micro-evolution (because there is little choice anymore) but rejecting macro-evolution. Human Ape and I presented the facts. This was not good enough for him. He needed to have it shown right in front of him. If he couldn't see it right now it never happened. So he concluded that proved ID and Jesus was his Lord and Saviour. I was a bit taken back by how quickly he strained at evolution facts looking for anything that he could hang his hat on and from there swallow the whole camel of woo-woo. I made the point that he hasn't seen one miracle, no water into wine, no raising of the dead, no turning sticks into snakes, no parting of the Red Sea but that he unquestionably believes.

He even went this far "Besides, if scientists would one day succeed in the production of life from non-living matter, it would be evidence that life is the result of intelligent design."

In other words, don't confuse me with the facts I have made up my mind.

Science has raised the bar very high for truth. But when you enter the world of the religious mind you must have lowered expectations.


No comments:

Post a Comment